Codices

The books that have been keeping me company...

Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Blind Assassin

I had never read a Margaret Atwood book but now I think I'm a fan (I'm just afraid that the next book of hers that I read is not as good as this one). "The Blind Assassin" is a fascinating novel about the sombre aspects of human nature and the weight of actions and omissions. The "novel within a novel" approach is mastered superbly by the author, adding depth and colour to the plot; 20th century customs and history are skillfully intertwined with the characters' fate, giving the book additional plausibility. The plot itself is simple but played out with some complexity, as real life does tend to go.

Synopsis

Even now, at the age of 82, Iris lives in the shadow cast by her younger sister Laura. Now poor and trying to cope with a failing body, Iris reflects on her far from exemplary life, in particular the events surrounding her sister's tragic death and the novel which earned her such notoriety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home