Codices

The books that have been keeping me company...

Friday, November 04, 2005

Coraline

I read Coraline because my 10 year-old daughter was reading it and at a point was so scared that she didn't want to turn the lights off when she went to bed. On the evening when that happened, after she was finally asleep, I picked up the book and read it. It took about 1 hour. I found that it IS very frightening as it addresses one of the biggest fears any child can have: the loss of its parents. To further its "fright-impact" it also has witches and spiders, a secret door and a mirror, a parallel world of people with buttons for eyes, a bodiless hand ... Creepy. Scary. But awfully good. I recomend it for children over 10.

Synopsis

Just as the mice did not get Coraline's name wrong their warning message was also not wrong. She finds a secret corridor behind a locked door, a corridor that takes her into a house very similar to her own, but with counterfeit parents and a terrible quest on which her survival, and more, depends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home